Gibraltar is an overseas territory ruled by the British. So the visa rules for entry into Gibraltar are quite similar to those for entering the United Kingdom. If you have a passport from any EU country, you can enter Gibraltar without a visa. Only valid identity card is sufficient to enter Gibraltar.
If you want to visit the state, it would be an excellent experience as it has historical buildings, amazing beaches, and mountains with fantastic beauty. But you need to get complete information before planning a visit to avoid any inconvenience. We have gathered some information regarding the requirements for entry and visa for Gibraltar.
All nationals require a valid passport with a visa to enter Gibraltar, but some individuals and countries have exemptions from acquiring a visa to enter the state. The visa-exempt nationals should fall under one of these categories;
- British nationals or citizens of the United Kingdom holding a British passport.
- Citizens of European Union states.
- Nationals from China, India, Morocco, Mongolia having multiple entry Schengen visas in case you are entering Gibraltar through Spain.
- If you belong to 57 visa-exempt countries, but you will need your passport and valid ID card to show at the passport.
- If you are a family member of European Union resident permit holder.
- If you are part of a group tour organized by Gibraltar tour and travel group for one day and you belong to China, Russia, and Ukraine.
- Chinese diplomat passport holder and visit on an official tour to Gibraltar.
- Passport holder of Taiwan, having proper biodata on a passport.
- Diplomatic or special passport holder of Oman, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar, paying a state-level visit to Gibraltar.
- Officials of Turkey, Indonesia, South Africa, and Vietnam on a state visit to Gibraltar.
- People having a residence permit of about six months in the United Kingdom.
- A British citizen who has not been residing in the country for more than two years need a visa to enter Gibraltar.
To check whether you need a visa for Gibraltar or not, you can visit our website Iavisa
Can I enter Gibraltar with a Schengen visa?
Schengen is an organization of 26 European countries, making their states border free for visits. If a person has a passport from any of the member countries, he can visit each of them without a visa. Schengen visa is valid for the states included in the Schengen area.
Gibraltar does not come in the Schengen area. But if you have a multiple entry Schengen visas and you hold a visa from China, India, Mongolia, Morocco, and Russia, you can enter Gibraltar and stay for up to 21 days.
Do you need a passport to go from Spain to Gibraltar?
Spain is one of the member states of the European Union and the Schengen area. Gibraltar was once a colony of Spain. As EU citizens can enter Gibraltar without a passport, it means national of Spain can enter Gibraltar without a passport.
If you are an EU citizen or having multiple entry Schengen visas, you can enter Gibraltar from Spain without a passport.
Can I use euros in Gibraltar?
The official currency used in Gibraltar is Pound Sterling. But you can use Euros in most of the shops and restaurants.